Foods that make you feel better:
- Fluids. water, decaf tea, fruit juice, soup. Liquids help to hydrate, and thin mucous secretions.
- Chicken soup helps with mucous secretions.
- Fruit, especially citrus, to increase vitamin C. Grapefruit helps detoxiy the liver.
- Spicy food promotes drainage of the sinuses. Hot Mexican or Indian foods are good congestion busters.
- Fresh, raw fruit and vegetables, whole grains, garlic, pulses, beans, small helpings of fish, nuts and seeds. These foods appear to increase resistance to infection and improve vitality.
- BRAT – banana, rice, apple/sauce, tea- to control diarrhea symptoms.
- Any other food that you can keep down! (except – see below)
- My personal choice – hot Liptop or green tea steeped lemon and honey.
Foods that make it worse (i.e., what to avoid):
- Dairy products like cream based soups, ice cream, pudding or milk as they increase phlem and congest sinuses.
- Alcoholic and caffeinated drinks, as these are dehydrating.
- High-fat, indigestible foods such as cheese, red meat and pastries.