I can make meatloaf from scratch in less than 45 minutes. It’s not a secret and it’s not my own recipe, but it’s so good, you won’t believe how easy and quick it is to make.
This recipe comes from the cookbook Got2Go: Feeding Families Fast, by Kathleen Hanna. Every dish in this book is designed to bring nutritious meals to the table fast. It’s a great resource for families on the go, and the busy moms who have to make sure that everyone’s fed and fed well. Included are recipes for meals and snacks, and even dips and shakes.
This is a meatloaf recipe is one that I’ve made several times, and it’s always a hit with my family.
Quickest Meatloaf in the West
1 pound lean ground meat
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1. In a large bowl, combine all the meatloaf ingredients.
2. Coat a microwaveable baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Pat meat mixture into baking dish making loaf approximately 2-3 inches high.
4. Cook uncovered on high for 14 minutes; drain any liquid that gathers in bottom of baking dish and discard. (Note: Prepare the glaze in the next step while waiting for the meatloaf to cook.)
5. In a small bowl, combine the glaze; spread over meat.
6. Cook on high for 5 more minutes.
7. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
The directions above are the original recipe. I make 1 1/2 batches of the glaze, and use an egg substitute of 3 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons oil and 2 teaspoons baking powder (whisked together). Due to differences in baking dishes and microwaves, I’ve found that I’ve had to vary the cooking times. I use a glass rectangular dish that’s no more than 2 1/2 inches high. I’ve found that I can get better results if I reduce the microwave power to 90%, and cook the meatloaf at 14 minutes the first time and then 7 minutes. You might have to experiment a bit to find the combination that works for you. But once you get it just right, you’ll make this meatloaf your go-to dish when you’re in a pinch!