Every year, when warmer weather rolls around, we think about having to do our spring cleaning. It’s such an over-encompassing term that it may mean different things to different people.
What exactly does spring cleaning entail? Having just a general idea of what it is makes me less inclined to do it. I mean, how can I plan to do something if I have no idea what is involved, right?
To help breakdown this yearly ritual, here’s a checklist of some tasks to do at this time of year:
In the living room:
* Dust blinds and wash drapes. This would also be a good time to replace your heavy winter draperies with something lighter to let more light into your home.
* Dust and clean ceiling fans to get them ready for the warmer season.
* Shampoo your carpet. Whether you do it yourself or have professionals come, warmer weather means you can open your windows to let the carpet dry faster.
* Steam-clean upholstered furniture. If you have professionals clean you carpet, have them do the furniture too.
In the kitchen:
* Clean the oven and refrigerator.
* Organize kitchen cabinets. Don’t forget to throw away expired items, and half-opened containers that you haven’t used in a while.
* Organize the freezer and refrigerator. The expired items rule applies here too.
* Wipe down the exteriors of appliances and cabinets.
In the laundry:
* Remove lint from the dryer hose to help prevent fires and improve your dryer’s performance.
* Wipe down the exterior of the washer and dryer.
In the office:
* Dust the computer. Don’t forget to clean between the keys of the keyboard.
* Remove books from shelves a section at a time, and dust them.
* Clean and reorganize file cabinets. Shred personal documents that you no longer need.
You don’t have to do all these things in one day, although if you can, go right ahead. Some people have a spring cleaning day, when they tackle all the chores that need to be done. Others like to spread these tasks out as their time allows. Whatever your method, this checklist should get you started.
Come back tomorrow for Part II of the spring cleaning checklist. Included will be tasks for the bedroom and bathroom.
via Sam’s Club; image by tanakawho on Flickr