When you send your kid to school with lunch this year, will it be trash free?
Next to paper, lunches are one of the biggest sources of waste in schools. Here are some tips on how to come closer to a trash-free lunch this year. And you’ll save money in the process.
• Replace juice boxes with reusable bottles filled at home.
• Use cloth napkins instead of paper.
• Don’t be afraid to send a real spoon instead of plastic. You can always buy a special lunch set of forks and spoons if you’re afraid of losing pieces of your silverware set.
• Invest in a reusable lunch bag. Paper lunch bags are for hyperventilating only!
• Ask your child to help clean and maintain all items inside the reusable lunch bag, and explain why it’s important to stop using disposables.
• Make lunch together. Instead of buying prepackaged convenience lunch items, spend some time with your child making lunch together. You might even try creating special lunch menus.
Do you have more ideas on greening your child’s lunch?
Image via reusablebags.com