Shiloh made these for breakfast on Sunday morning. Actually she made them Saturday and the entire house was filled with the aroma of vanilla. It was incredible. The girl can cook.
These are a soft and cake-y muffin full of flavor. Use a good quality baking chocolate and chop it up in random sizes for the best effect and flavor. You can use any sort, we prefer bittersweet chocolate for baking at our house.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel, optional
- 6 ozs bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place liners in 12 muffin cups.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream. Begin and end with the flour.
- Quickly blend in the orange peel, chocolate, and pecans. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Image: Marye Audet