Cities with bad traffic (mine), expensive gyms near you (mine), and slightly intimidating workout zones (mine) make you want to work out at home. But can you get a good workout at home? Here are my top tips on how you can do so:
1. Grab a jump rope. Do this trimming exercise anywhere you can find an empty patch– your sidewalk, the patio, or your living room (if you have a good floor). Named on the the easiest and most low-cost way to get in shape, it’s a must-do for budget exercise looking to trim up.
2. Mini-stepper. Instead of putting yourself out on the Stair Master, try a mini stepper. They are hard to find now that ellipticals have totally stolen their thunder, but you can look for one on eBay if you want to save.
3. Weights and resistance bands. If you stick to the free weights at the gym, you can get an equally good workout at home. If you need to, pop in a good toning workout vid like Basic Strength Training with Lynn Hahn.
4. Don’t forget about the outdoors. Don’t forget about how delicious a walk outdoors is in comparison to a boring treadmill
5. You can hop in the shower in your own home and do all your rituals without worrying about foot fungus. This isn’t a workout tip, but it’s good for peace of mind.