I am finding interesting and varied pasta shapes more and more in the local stores. This may be old news to some of you but trust me, around here you just don’t get the variety that you do in other places. Apparently that is changing, something for which I will foreve be grateful because I get bored easily.
I was making BBQ sandwiches, a perfectly respectable Texas dinner, when I realized that I didn’t feel like making french fries, didn’t have time to make potato salad, and didn’t want corn. That pretty much leaves pasta, right?
So, I cooked these pasta wheels, tossed in some other ingredients and came up with something that could easily be a vegetarian main course as well as a nice side.
Pasta with Spinach and Chickpeas
1 lb pasta of choice, cooked
- 1 lb spinach, chopped
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle, or red pepper flakes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Saute the chipotle, onion and garlic in the olive oil. Don’t allow the garlic to caramelize or scorch.
- Add the chickpeas and stir until warmed through.
- Add the spinach and pasta and continue to stir until it is well mixed and the pasta is coated with the olive oil.
- Serve with the Parmesan sprinkled over the top
About 6-8 servings
images: (c)Marye Audet 2009