I have tomatoes and watermelon both growing in my garden. I can’t wait to give this recipe from LiveStrong.com a try with some of my fresh from the garden heirloom tomatoes. I have several varieties and colors growing, I think they would make a fun and interesting salad.
I love cilantro, pair it with the sunny tomato flavor, and the sweet flavor of watermelon, and it’s sure to be a hit. This salad will make a wonderful side dish to a meal made on the grill, and you don’t have to cook anything. Throw it together at the last minute and you’re ready to go.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad
- 2 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, in 1-inch cubes (reserve juice)
- 1 1/2 heirloom tomato cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
- Combine the watermelon, tomato, cheese, scallions and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk or blend together about two tablespoons of the watermelon juice, oil, vinegar and cayenne.
- To serve, dress the salad with this mixture and garnish with cilantro.
- Do not refrigerate and serve within 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
140.7 Calories, 10.3g Fat, 4.2g Saturated Fat, 0.6g Polyunsaturated Fat, 4.9g Monounsaturated Fat, 14.2mg Cholesterol, 272.3mg Sodium, 204.8mg Potassium, 6.8g Carbohydrate, 0.9g Dietary Fiber, 0.4g Sugars, 4.9g Protein