O.k. so when it gets to be a muggy 110 degrees and the only breeze at night comes from your husband who snores, you know you are in the South and you need a quick and easy dinner.
Summer is hot here. We don’t use air conditioning, haven’t for the several years we have lived in this house. Frankly, it is too expensive, but I also like the idea of flowing with the seasons..experiencing them rather than manipulating them. I know..I am so weird.
Nothing is worse than cooking a hot meal in a hot kitchen and serving it in a hot dining room. That is why God made salad.
Check it out.
Who isn’t going to eat that? Colorful, cool, with a variety of flavors and textures, Chopped Salad is an awesome meal to set on the table when it is too hot to cook. I always make the tortilla chips homemade, you can by them and crumble them if you like, but if it doesn’t taste as good don’t blame me.
The only secret is trying to get most of the ingredients chopped to the same size so the flavor/texture stays balanced.
Serve this with some ice cold melon or mango, or a fresh fruit sorbet and you are good to go.
- 1 package organic baby herb salad
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can black olives, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes chopped (I did not have any the day I made it for this image)
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/2 lb diced Monterey Jack cheese cubed (pepper Jack is awesome)
- 2 cups tortilla chips, tortillas cut into squares before frying
- Recipe Chipotle Vinaigrette
Mix all ingredients together and serve immediately. It looks better if you plate each salad individually and add the chips last but you can serve it family style in a big bowl. Yes it is that easy! Serves 8
- 4 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons strong honey (this is always best raw and local!)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped chipotle in adobo sauce (canned, you can find it in the ethnic section of your market)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, minced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Whisk together, check seasonings and allow to stand for 30 minutes before using. Makes about 3/4 cup.
image:marye audet (c) 2009