Mmm…pumpkin recipes…are you looking for moist? How about earthy-spicy? How about something to make your house smell like the Yankee Candle Company? How about if I throw in easy as well?
Yeah. You want this cake.
Now that you know how easy it is to roast your own pumpkin you can create magic in the kitchen with this recipe. And…did you know…Pumpkin and vanilla are supposed to be very…VERY attractive scents to men…you must keep that in mind and use this recipe responsibly.
This is super moist and will serve 12-16 easily. You can serve it as is, add some vanilla ice cream, or maybe a soft whipped cream. It is incredible in the afternoon with coffee or tea, and if there had been some left I could have told you it was good for breakfast, too.
All right. First, let’s spice it up…
Spice are important. They have more flavor the fresher they are. I buy mine in bulk at a local store and they are so fresh sometimes the entire kitchen will smell like a Moroccan market when I bring them home. Nutmeg should always be freshly grated. Really, there is no good excuse not to. It is easy as long as you keep your fingers out of the way…
Always mix the batter gently so that the flour doesn’t develop gluten. That is what makes it tough. Just get all the ingredients mixed in.
I think that the cooking sprays with flour work the best on my bundt pan. You can use whatever you want to grease the pan but I have had the very best results with cooking spray with flour added. Spoon the batter in to the pan lightly and then drop it on the counter once to get the bubbles out. You want this cake to be a little dense…(I will not make a blond joke here…)
This will cook for about an hour. Start checking it at 50 minutes though. There will be just a few moist crumbs clinging to a toothpick that is stuck halfway between the side of the pan and the center tube.
Browned Butter Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and allowed to turn golden brown then cooled
- 2 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease pan
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside
- Beat cooled butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla
- Fold in pumpkin
- Add flour and buttermilk alternately and mix until smooth
- Spoon into baking pan
- Bake at 350F until done, about 50-65 minutes
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then remove from pan to cool
Brown Butter Glaze
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and allowed to turn golden brown
- About 3 cups of confectioner’s sugar, or enough to make a thick glaze
- 1 tbs bourbon if desired
- 1 tsp vanilla
Mix all ingredients until smooth. Spoon over warm cake. Sprinkle on almonds if desired.