I was looking for a cheesecake for Thanksgiving that would be a little different from anything else. I had some bananas and all of a sudden I thought about how much I like banana pudding.
The idea of translating a Southern style banana pudding into a cheesecake seemed perfect to me, and with some input from the food gurus on Twitter I came up with this Southern Style Banana Pudding with Bourbon Maple Pecan Glaze.
Was it good? Absolutely!
The cheesecake is very creamy and the banana flavor, although delicate, is incredible. Allow this to sit overnight in the refrigerator because it will help it take on more flavor.
Southern Banana Pudding Cheesecake
- 1 package ‘Nilla Wafers, half turned to crumbs in the blender, half broken into large chunks
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 32 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbs strong bourbon vanilla
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Mix NillaÂ Wafers crumbs and butter and press into a 9 inch springform
- Wrap the bottom and sides ofÂ theÂ springform with aluminum foil to seal out water
- Beat the cream cheese on low speed until blended
- Add sugar and continue to beat on low
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Remove from mixer and fold in sour cream and the vanilla
- Pour half the filling into the crust. Sprinkle with sliced bananas and remaining (chopped) ‘Nilla Wafers.
- Pour the remaining filling over in the prepared crust carefully
- Bake for 45 minutes in a bain marie (place cheesecake pan in another pan and add water until it comes halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan)
- Leave oven door closed and turn off heat. Allow to stand for one hour
- Remove from oven and bain marie and allow to come to room temperature
- Chill for 8 hours
about 12-16 servings
Bourbon Pecan Maple Glaze
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 lb pecans, chopped
Bring all of the ingredients except the pecans to a simmer; whisk until the sugarÂ is dissolved and mixture is reduced by half. It should be thickened.
Spread the glaze over the cooked cake, sprinkle on the pecans and press them in lightly. Refrigerate until it is time to serve.