If a new baby is in the works for 2010 then of course you’ll want to design an awesome green nursery. This is the fun part – while there are important decisions to make, there are also tons of amazing green baby products out there just waiting for you to browse.
Here are some tips for designing a super green nursery…
- Start with the skeleton – that means walls and floors – before you move in any furniture or accessories. Choose eco-friendly low-voc / no-voc paints or non-toxic wallpapers for the walls. Go with natural, sustainable, or organic flooring and floor coverings. For example, bamboo is a good sustainable wood flooring option as are non-toxic carpets and rugs.
- Choose sustainable furniture made without particle board or aim for refurbished or thrift furniture; just make sure the paint on used goods is lead free.
- Create clean air quality in the nursery from the start.
- If you’re not co-sleeping and are buying a crib make sure to get an organic crib mattress. Your baby spends much of his first year of life sleeping so this is a key component.
- Install energy saving lights and light bulbs – you can even get nightlights with energy saving bulbs now.
Most importantly – buy less stuff. Buying a lot of stuff is in no way green and frankly babies don’t need as much gear and toys as you think. For the items you do choose makes sure they’re eco-friendly. Smart green baby gear choices include cloth diapers, organic clothing, and natural non-toxic toys.
[image via stock.xchng]