Sour Cream-n-Onion Sundays are long over, and you limit yourself to only two shakes of the salt container when prepping your movie night popcorn. You’re doing all you can to cut out salt, right? Wrong. According to Health.com, salt lurks in some unsuspecting places. Check out these 25 surprisingly sodium-filled foods – just don’t take them with a grain of salt.
1. Kellogg’s Raisin Bran – This old standby has twice the sodium of many other breakfast cereals.
2. Classico Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce – With more than 20% of your daily sodium requirement, this sauce complicates things. Make a simpler one yourself.
3. Slim Jim – Kind of a no-brainer. One stick contains twice the sodium of a serving of potato chips.
4. Kellogg’s Eggo Buttermilk Pancakes – “Leggo My Eggo Buttermilk Pancake” doesn’t really have the same ring to it. Stick with the classic Eggo waffles and save 160 milligrams of sodium.
5. MorningStar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Burger – This vegetarian patty has even more sodium than a burger made with red meat. Check out Amy’s Organics for a low-sodium option.
6. Heinz Ketchup – If you’re anything like us, you consider ketchup as pretty negligible, nutrition-wise. Unfortunately, it’s packed with sodium.
7. Kraft Singles – It seems harmless enough to munch on a Kraft Single while prepping the kids’ lunches, but you’re giving yourself an unnecessary dose of sodium.
8. Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickel Bread – Two slices of this bread will cost you 15% of your daily sodium. Imagine what what piling on the cold cuts will do.
9. V8 Spicy Hot Vegetable Juice – Grab the low-sodium version. You’ll get all the spiciness and vitamin C with 1/3 of the sodium.
10. Green Giant Canned Mushrooms – Fresh is always a better choice when it comes to vegetables; so if you can afford it, ditch the canned versions.
11. Perdue Short Cuts Carved Chicken Breast, Southwestern Style Cooked Chicken Strips – That mouthful contains more than a mouthful of sodium.
12. Lender’s Whole Grain Plain Bagel – According to Health.com, you may as well eat a Slim Jim.
13. Ken’s Steakhouse Lite Italian Salad Dressing – With salads, go simple: Use oil and vinegar.
14. DiGiorno For One Pepperoni Thin Crust Pizza – As if pizzas for one weren’t depressing enough already, this pizza contains half of your salt for the day.
15. Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice – Even the low-sodium versions of this product contain hefty amounts. We hope San Fran gets the memo.
16. Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil’s Food Cake – It’s full of sodium, so in this instance, don’t let them eat cake.
17. Bertolli Mediterranean Style Shrimp and Penne Primavera – We know. It’s so easy to open the bag, cook it for 20 minutes, and eat. But all that sodium may not be worth it.
18. Campbell’s Homestyle Chicken Noodle – Everyone knows soups are salty, but it might surprise you to learn that this one has 80% of your daily sodium!
19. Friendship 1% Low-Fat Cottage Cheese – Swap Greek yogurt for cottage cheese. It’s just as creamy and satisfying, but without the sodium.
20. Otis Spunkmeyer Harvest Bran Muffin – This little guy contains 20% of your daily sodium requirement.
21. Lean Cuisine Baja Style Chicken Quesadilla – If the low calorie count in this dish draws you in, eat it with something low in sodium.
22. Birds Eye Asian Vegetables in Sesame Ginger Sauce – Your homemade stir fry will taste much better over rice. It’ll also have less sodium if you stick with low-sodium soy sauce.
23. Vlasic Kosher Dills Whole Pickles – Just one pickle is 1/3 of your daily salt intake. It had better be one delicious cuke.
24. Maruchan Ramen Noodle Soup, Roast Chicken Flavor – Another easy dinner that’s jam-packed with sodium. Swap it for some noodles and fresh vegetables.
25. Lunchables Ham and Swiss with Crackers – You may not reach for Lunchables, but your kids probably do. So do it up old-school for them with a ham sandwich.