Summertime means showing more skin than normal. Even if you aren’t walking around in a bikini, we’re betting that you’re at least going to wear a tank top every now and then. Yahoo Health found 15 ways to make your skin look and feel its best during your beauty routine.
1. Don’t buy an expensive face wash. It’ll only be on your face for a few seconds, so there isn’t much time for it to have a huge impact. Stick to drugstore brands.
2. Wear lip balm. Make sure your balm of choice has UV protection, because skin cancer that stars on your lips is especially aggressive.
3. Calm redness. If you have rosacea, you aren’t alone – 14 million people in the U.S. do, too. Exfoliate gently, and your skin treatments will be absorbed more effectively.
4. Use natural products. Make sure you double check that your products are actually natural – check out our list of favorites.
5. Start using an anti-aging product. As depressing as it is, it’s never too early to start using an topical retinoid as an anti-ager.
6. De-fuzz your face. Try using a prescription cream called Vaniqa for unwanted facial hair. In clinical trials, it reduced hair on the faces of nearly 60% of participants.
7. End overnight oil. Use an overnight treatment to stop your glands from pumping oil while you sleep.
8. Call the dermatologist. If you have any kind of skin issue that worries you, head to your dermatologist rather than your GP.
9. Try to relax. It’s not just an urban legend – stress really can make your skin freak out. Find out what relaxation techniques work for you, and try to use them when you’re feeling anxious.
10. Shower…often. If you feel yourself getting sweaty, you should probably schedule a shower into your day at some point soon. Bacteria loves sweat, so you could find some new blemishes if you put off showering for too long.
12. Don’t overuse products. Check out your skin care regimen, and try to eliminate products that have more than 10 ingredients. The more ingredients, the higher risk that your skin could become irritated.
13. Wash your sheets. While you’re sleeping, hormonal changes make you sweat. And when you sweat, lotion, hair gel, and oil get all over your sheets. Try to wash them once a week to keep your pores clog-free.
14. Don’t fake and bake. Stay out of the sun for at least eight hours after you apply self-tanner. Your skin is super-susceptible to free-radical damage during that time.
15. Stop smoking. Right. Now. Smokers have more pronounced wrinkles than non-smokers – it accelerates the aging process.
via Yahoo Health