There’s little more refreshing than a crisp summer salad with an herb vinaigrette dressing. What isn’t so refreshing is the price tag that comes with your restaurant-purchased salad or bottle of gourmet salad dressing. To bypass the credit card bill, follow this simple recipe on how to make herb vinegar at home, thanks to Planet Green.
First, pick your poison. (But not really.) Basil, chives, garlic, rosemary, and other common garden herbs all work well. You’ll also need to choose your vinegar. Stick with either apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar, red wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.
What you need:
At least a 1/2 cup of herbs
At least one cup of vinegar (use 1/2 cup herbs to one cup vinegar)
A sterile jar
What to do:
1. Wash the herbs well, and pat dry
2. Put the herbs in the jar.
3. Pour the vinegar over the herbs.
4. Cover the jar and let the mixture sit for a week in a dark space, shaking to mix occasionally.
5. After a week, check for taste. If it isn’t strong enough, let it sit for another week.
6. When the vinegar has the desired taste, use a funnel and a coffee filter to filter out stems and leaves, and pour into a fancy bottle.
7. Store either in fridge or on counter.
8. Impress your friends with your delish DIY homemade vinegar.
via Planet Green