Guess what’s on the menu today, folks: Douglas McNish! He’s head chef at Toronto’s Raw Aura organic and raw food restaurant, who made his Blisstree debut sharing his original recipe for carrot and parsnip ‘fettuccine’. Then it was peppercorn-crusted tempeh steaks, massaged kale salad, quinoa pomegranate pilaf, quinoa and lentil burgers, a killer raw pizza crust recipe, plus a wicked marinara sauce and vegan cheese topping for your pie, cauliflower tabouli, and pumpkin seed refried beans for your dipping pleasure. Last time it was his original summer Caesar salad. Doug also teaches food workshops and gives cooking demos. He has tattoos. And he’s hot. Sadly, Blisstree can’t always get to Canada to visit Doug, so he’s kindly offered to come to us. Every other week, expect a surprisingly delish raw or vegan recipe from him. (Doug is into “cruelty-free” food – and we are into him.) Dig into his 11th course for Blisstree.
Flax and Chili Breading for Avocado Fries
1 cup golden flax, whole
2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 large avocado
1. Using either a spice grinder or blender, grind the flax seeds until they become a powder.
2. Mix in all other spices/seasonings and taste for salt.
3. Cut the avocado lengthwise into eight equal portions and toss with the flax breading until all sides are evenly coated.
4. Dehydrate at 105º for five to six hours or until desired texture has been achieved.
Sun-Dried Tomato Ketchup
2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
1/4 cup raisins, soaked
5 medjool dates, soaked
4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups purified water
1. Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
photo: Jo-anne Mcarthur