Have you been following the heated controversy over this proposed $100 million mosque in Lower Manhattan near the World Trade Center site? Not to sound like knee-jerk liberals, but we’re pretty sick and tired of Islamaphobia, and people who cannot seem to hold an intelligent debate about the proposed mosque. (Even the word “mosque” has become taboo â€“ instead, it has to be: “Islamic Cultural Center.”) Blisstree is a site devoted to wellness, and Lord knows we believe in some pretty radical ideas, including: Freedom of religion, tolerance, informed decision-making, peace, and lots of other hippie shit. Which is why we’d like to remind those folks out there who may have forgotten of a few minor details:
1) All Muslims are not terrorists.
2) The U.S. Constitution guarantees all its citizens freedom of religion.
3) There are more than seven million Muslim-Americans in the U.S.
4) There are more than 1.5 billion Muslims around the world.
5) The entire Islamic religion did not attack the U.S. on September 11, 2001, so let’s stop blaming every single Muslim on the planet for it. Lest we forget:
6) Muslims pray inside the Pentagon every day.
7) And hundreds of Muslims died as innocent victims of the 9/11 attacks.
Not to get all preachy about freedom of religion, but at this point in history, haven’t we at least learned that hating and persecuting a group of people solely based on their religious beliefs isn’t exactly the smartest move for a civilized society?