We consider ourselves to be pretty clean peeps. But we’ve got to admit that we don’t always sanitize the 6 oft-forgotten household items listed below. Ewww. Thanks for the reminder, Care2.
1. Reusable grocery bags. We’ve already covered this one, but we bet a lot of you still haven’t washed them. Because we sure haven’t.
2. Showerheads. In a study at University of Colorado, 30% of showerheads tested positive for Mycobacterium avium, a particularly nasty type of germ, as well as other bacteria. We really don’t like the sound of that, because we’ve never washed our showerhead. Oops.
3. Computer Keyboards. A 2008 study in England revealed that some keyboards have five times the bacteria of a toilet seat. WTF??? So, those of us who make our living using a computer are better off rubbing our hands all over a dirty, bus station toilet seat.
4. Drapes. The dust in dirt caught in your window treatments could be bothering your allergies. Get thee to a dry cleaner.
5. Trash Cans. Cleaning a trash can seems silly, but particles from all that gross stuff you toss into the can could get on it and fester.
6. Doormats. What do you think is on people’s shoes? Poop, poop, and more poop. Research shows that 96% of shoes carry traces of good, old-fashioned feces. Throw that welcome mat in the wash, stat.