Because it’s Veterans’ Day, we’ve been thinking about ways to show our appreciation and support for U.S. troops at home and abroad. And because the holiday season is almost here, care packages for armed forces members are especially welcome. So we found several organizations that send care packages to deployed soldiers, and how you can help.
1. Give 2 the Troops: There are two ways to give with this nonprofit. You can donate money, which will go toward postage on care packages and special items requested by the troops. Or, you can donate actual items — the most in-demand ones are food and entertainment products like drink mixes, snack bars, and DVDs, or video games.
2. Operation Gratitude: This nonprofit focuses on making each soldier feel appreciated by sending care packages and letters to specific individuals, including injured soldiers. You can donate items, food (including extra Halloween candy), letters, or money to cover shipping costs. Right now they especially need personal letters, handmade scarves, and Beanie Babies or WebKinz.
3. Operation Shoebox: With this program, you can donate food, toiletries, and entertainment items to troops, or toys and school supplies to help with the soldiers’ outreach efforts abroad. You can also volunteer to make a bag that the care packages are delivered in.
4. Cell Phones for Soldiers: Cell phones are donated to a company that recycles them. In turn, they give this nonprofit calling cards for troops abroad to call their loved ones back home.
5. U.S. Troop Care Package: Monetary donations, personal care items, food, and clothing are all suggested ways to give to U.S. Troop Care Package. You can also volunteer to sew a pillow for a soldier.
6. Military Care Packages: This company lets you choose which care package you’d like to send to your favorite soldier. There are several types of specialized packages that you can personalize to fit your needs.