Garlic, Spinach and Mushroom Tarts
1 cup almonds, ground into flour
½ cup ground golden flax
¼ cup warm water
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp almond butter
1 ½ cup cashews, soaked 30 minutes
1 cup spinach
1 cup button mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
3 tsbp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coconut amino acids
¼ cup olive oil, divided
2 tsp sea salt, divided
For the Tart Shells (yields 4)
1. In a food processor add in the almonds and process until no large pieces remain and texture is that of traditional flour.
2. In a mixing bowl stir in all other ingredients until well incorporated.
3. Press filling into a tart shell and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 6 to 7 hours or until most of the moisture has been removed and the shell holds its consistency.
For the filling
1. Toss the spinach with ½ tsp sea salt and half of the olive oil, allow to sit for 45 minutes to soften
2. Toss the mushrooms with the amino acids and reaming olive oil, allow to sit for 45 minutes to soften.
3. In a food processor, add in the lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast and sea salt. Blend until no chunks remain.
4. Add in the cashews, mushrooms, spinach and thyme. Blend until smooth and taste for seasoning
5. Divide the mixture between the four shells and serve immediately. (Alternatively you can place the shell with the filling in the dehydrator for 10 minutes to take the chill off.)
We’re happy to report that our favorite raw chef, Doug McNish, is happily serving up raw food in a new locale as Executive chef at Grail Springs, a health and wellness spa in Bacroft, Canada. But we’re sad to report that his full-time work there is taking him away from contributing regular recipes on Blisstree. Until we find a way to hijack more of his time, Doug is bidding us farewell with one last recipe that’s perfect for Mother’s Day brunch, according to Doug, a “really nice complex raw recipe for my last dose.”
We wish him luck at Grail Springs, and we wish you a happy, healthy Mother’s Day!
Douglas McNish is executive chef at Grail Springs Retreat & Spa in Bancroft, Ontario. He also teaches food workshops, gives cooking demos, and his first raw cookbook will be available through Robert Rose Publications in Canada, the U.S., U.K., and Australia in March 2012. Check out Doug’s recipes on Blisstree, and our recent interview with him: From Drug Addiction to Veganism: Raw Chef Douglas McNish Dishes on Food, Recovery, and The Secret.