Alice Pyne is 15 years old and has been battling Hodgkin’s lymphoma for four years. As the cancer that attacks white blood cells began to spread, her mother encouraged her to write a bucket list of things she’d like to accomplish before the cancer wins the fight. It was only three days ago that she set up Alice’s Bucket List, but her brave face, and inspirational goals (which include increasing bone marrow donorship) have ignited social media sites, and her name has become a trending topic on Twitter.
“I thought that I was just doing a little blog for a few friends!” she wrote, after the media caught wind of her blog and her name was mentioned across some of Britain’s most popular discussion and news shows. Her fast-spreading worldwide support has also influenced her bucket list, as she writes that she’s now gearing up to see her favorite music group, Take That. But the most important development, she says, is the attention she has brought to the need for more bone marrow donors.
“I’m excited about the things I am going to be doing,” she blogs, “but the biggest thing has to be all the people who are joining bone marrow donation schemes because of me.”
She goes on to thank the influx of support and messages she has been receiving from around the world. “I don’t sleep very well and I sat up all night reading them as they came in from all over the planet, every single one, and they have made me smile so much so that is a good thing.” Her three-day-old blog now has over 7,000 followers.
Her thirst for life and drive to accomplish her goals in her short time has also caught the attention of British Prime Minister David Cameron, who told the House of Commons:
I will certainly do that and I am very sorry to hear about the situation facing Alice and what she is going through. Our thoughts go out to her and her parents. She sounds like a very brave and very admirable person. We do want to get as many people as possible on to the bone marrow register and I’m sure the Leader of the Opposition and I can discuss this.
Alice’s bucket list includes a bevy of life-affirming and physically fun activities:
- To swim with sharks
- To make everyone sign up to be a bone marrow donor
- To go to Kenya (I can’t travel there now but I wanted to)
- To enter Mabel in a regional Labrador show
- To have a photo shoot with Milly, Clarissa, Sammie and Megs
- To have a private cinema party for me and my BFFs
- To design an Emma Bridgewater Mug to sell for charity
- To stay in a caravan
- To have a purple Apple iPad but I’m not really allowed to put that on here and mum is trying to borrow one
- To be a dolphin trainer (I can’t do this one either now)
- To meet Take That
- To go to Cadbury World and eat loads of chocolate
- To have a nice picture taken with Mabel
- To stay in the chocolate room at Alton Towers
- To have my hair done if they can do anything with it
- To have a back massage
- To go whale watching
As for her social media celebrity, it’s something she’s still wrapping her head around: “Anyone got hints for tweeting because we don’t know what we’re doing LOL.”