Fall boots and sweaters are almost back in, but corn is not yet out: We’ve still got a few more days of summer before farmer’s markets slowly drain their stock of summer produce. So while there’s still time, try out this vegetarian corn pie recipe from our social media editor, Roxana Rusowsky. Enjoy!
Summer Corn Pie
8 corn ears
1 cup of milk
3 eggs, 1 fresh, 2 hard-boiled
2 big onions, chopped
2 tbsp of fresh raisins
6 Black olives
2 tsp fresh basil
2 tsp oregano
250 grams of mushrooms, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand grater, grate the corn into a heavy saucepan.
- In a non-stick pan, sweat onions and then add mushrooms. Mix vegetable stock with half a cup of hot water and add to the mix. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is almost dry. Add chopped raisins. Season with salt and pepper.
- On medium heat, add milk to the grated corn, stirring, until thick. Add fresh basil. Remove from the heat just before it reaches a boil, add 1 egg and stir.
- Pour the mushroom mix into a casserole. Add olives and hard boiled eggs in pieces. Pour the corn cream on top.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.