Since Amy Winehouse‘s death three months ago, her parents have insisted that it wasn’t a drug overdose that killed her. And according to British coroner Suzanne Greenway, they were right: She announced today that the 27-year-old singer’s death on July 23 was an “unintended consequence” of accidental alcohol poisoning. According to the autopsy report at today’s inquest hearing, her blood alcohol level was five times that of the drunk-driving limit in Britain, and the only drug found in her system was Librium, a sedative that had been prescribed to help ease her symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
After her death, many debated who was really responsible for Winehouse’s problems with drugs and alcohol. Some blamed the media and industry; some believed her friends and family should have intervened, and some simply chalked it up to her tragic battle with depression and failed rehab. But the newest autopsy reports seem to back her personal doctor’s claims that Amy hadn’t been depressed, and had only begun drinking the day before her death, after a three-week period of successful abstinence.
Family spokesman Chris Goodman said that they were happy “to finally find out what happened to Amy,” but that “the court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time.”