This winter table recipe comes from registered dietician and blogger Janel Ovrut Funk. Funk’s ‘Detox Soup’ is not your typical watery, flavorless detox concoction—it’s a hearty and healthy mix of herbs, beans and vegetables (and using frozen veggies is okay).
“Let it be known that I’m totally against any form of trendy diet detox—restricting food, cleanses, liquid diets,” says Funk. “All it takes to get right back on track is to fill your plate with those nutritious foods that our body needs to function at it’s finest. And this soup is loaded with those foods.”
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 8 oz tomato sauce
• 1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies
• 1 box frozen sugar snap peas
• 1 can black beans, rinsed
• 1 can white beans, rinsed
• 4 fresh basil leaves, ripped into tiny pieces
• a few shakes of dried thyme
• a few shakes of dried oregano
• a squirt or two of hot sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Cooked/leftover whole grains like brown rice, couscous or quinoa.
Optional: About 20 cooked mini-shrimp
Add all ingredients at once into a big soup caldron and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 7-10 minutes. That’s it!
Get more recipes and nutrition tips from Funk at eatwellwithjanelblog.com/.