Via Nashville food blogger Beth Sachan, a pizza crust that’s low-carb, gluten-free—and made from cauliflower. Pile it with tomato sauce and vegetables, and you’ve got one nutrient-packed pizza. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable (like broccoli and Brussels sprouts), low-calorie but heavy in vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. ”I’m not going to lie and say it’s just like eating a flour pizza crust, because it’s not,” writes Beth. “But surprisingly, it’s not like eating cauliflower either.”
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)
+ pizza sauce and your choice of toppings
1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. To “rice” the cauliflower: Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulsing or you will puree it. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater).
2. Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. If you don’t have a microwave, you can steam the florets on the stove before ricing them. ["The texture/consistency won’t be the same," writes Beth. "It will be more like a puree, but it still works fine once you mix all the ingredients together! I know because I’ve tried it that way too!"]
One large head of cauliflower should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
3. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup riced cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir.
4. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9″ round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and/or cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
Find more from Beth Sachan at Eat Drink Smile.