So, you want to see the kind of amazing vegan fare that Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi dine on? Check out this fresh, healthy vegan spring roll recipe, courtesy of Chef Roberto Martin himself.
For 12 spring rolls and sauce, you’ll need:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 small orange
- 1 teaspoon minced or finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Dash of Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro with tender stems,Â roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, green parts only,Â sliced on the bias
- 15 fresh basil leaves, cut intoÂ chiffonade
- 20 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 fat carrot, peeled, grated, andÂ squeezed dry in a paper towel
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded,Â and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded,Â and julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded,Â and julienned
- 2 firm avocados, halved, pitted,Â and removed from their skins
- 2 packages spring roll wrappersÂ (rice papers)
To make the dipping sauce:
In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce, adding the Sriracha sauce, if using, for a little extra kick.
To assemble the spring rolls:
- Mix the first 9 ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Â Slice each avocado half into 8 even slices and set aside.
- Select a dish or pan that is large enough for the rice paper to lie flat inside.
- Inspect each rice paper carefully and discard any sheets that have holes or cuts. Add about 1 cup of very warm water to the dish or pan and soak 1 sheet of rice paper for about 20 seconds, or until the paper has softened but has not become completely “gummy bear” soft. Place the rice paper on a cutting board and rub it gently with your wet hands to flatten it and workÂ in more water. Then….
- Place 1/2 cup of filling on the rice paper, slightly below the center, working from the edge closest to you. (Where the smile on a smiley face goes.) Top the mound with 2 avocado slices.
- Pick up the edge closest to you and fold the rice paper up and over the mound.
- Fold the right and left sides toward the center.
- Pull the spring roll gently toward you as you roll it up burrito style. Protect the spring rolls from each other with moist parchment paper. Repeat the procedure until all the avocado slices and filling have been used. Cover the spring rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate.The spring rolls can be made up to 2 hours before serving. If each guest is to have their own dipping sauce, cut each spring roll in half at an angle just prior to serving. If the dipping sauce is to be communal, cutÂ each spring roll into thirds just prior to serving.
Images by Quentin Bacon.Â Recipe from VEGAN COOKING FOR CARNIVORES by Roberto Martin.Â Copyright Â© 2012 by Roberto Martin.Â Used by arrangement with Grand Central Publishing.Â All rights reserved.