Purslane it a little-known but mega-nutritious green, with more omega-3 fatty acids than any other leafy vegetable. Here’s a (vegan) purslane salad recipe from chef Sara Jenkins, of NYC’s Porsena and Porchetta restaurants. You can use arugula or similar if purslane isn’t available (it can be a hard find, at grocery store or farmer’s market). Jenkins pairs the greens with mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, Castelluccio lentils and red wine vinaigrette.
Purslane, Cherry Tomato and Castelluccio Lentil Salad
• 6 Tablespoons Umbrian extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Quart mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes
• 1 Bunch purslane or baby arugula
• 1 Cup cooked and drained Castelluccio lentils
• 2 Red scallions slivered
• 2 Tablespoons mild Italian red wine vinegar
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Slice the cherry tomatoes in halves or quarters.
• With the scallions, toss tomatoes with salt in the bottom of a salad bowl.
• Add the lentils, purslane and toss with olive oil and vinegar.
• Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.