It’s heartbreaking and brutal to realize just how much more the FDA cares about corporations than people…almost as heartbreaking and brutal as realizing that you’re basically eating pool cleanser. The FDA allows us to purchase and consume a number of dangerous “foods” containing chemicals banned by other countries.
There are six chemicals so dangerous that foreign governments have banned them from being used in food, but the FDA totally thinks they’re safe for American consumption. Nice.
A new book titled ‘Rich Food, Poor Food,’ authored by Dr Jayson Calton and certified nutritionist Mira Calton, contains a list of these banned ingredients, what those ingredients are in, where they’re banned and why.
Here’s a brief guide to what Calton and Calton refer to as “Banned Bad Boys”:
- Food dyes: Contains petroleum(just like plastic and gasoline!) Certain kinds are allowed to murder US citizens, but are banned in France, Finland, Austria and Norway. Because food coloring gives people cancer and may mutate DNA.
- Olestra: A fat substitute found in low-fat and fat-free chips products, banned in the United Kingdom and Canada for causing gastrointestinal distress in lofty numbers. In 2003, the FDA stopped requiring companies to disclose the fact that their product may or may not but probably will cause “gas and diarrhea.”
- Brominated Vegetable Oil: It’s in citrus soft drinks and also in pool cleaner and the stuff they use to make carpets less flammable. It’s banned in over 100 countries for causing all of the different thyroid diseases.
- Azodicarbonamide: Banned in Australia, the U.K. and most European countries, using this chemical in food will land you in prison for 15 years with a $15,0000 fine in Singapore. But in the US, it’s used to bleach cereal and is ’permitted for direct addition to food for human consumption.’
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) & butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT): Both waxy solids are made of petroleum and found a number of cereals, flavored nuts and chewing gums. Japan, the UK and ugh lots of European governments have banned them for giving rats cancer.
I’m so glad the FDA is around to protect us from harmful foods and drugs. No wonder the US has such a healthful population, must be those efficient and effective regulations. So, I’m going to keep a list of all the brands that sell products containing these chemicals, since apparently, the US government won’t even ask them to warn us about the dangers of consuming their deathfoods.
Story via The Daily Mail//Image via Shutterstock