Over the years at Blisstree, we’ve written a lot about pumpkin spice: the seasonal flavor fad that is often found in trendy hot drinks that contain more calories and sugar than many desserts. That’s because year after year people start going wild for pumpkin flavored everything. Pumpkin in the fall is like bacon was a few years ago: irritatingly ubiquitous.
Like any normal human that loves Autumn, I love pumpkin spice flavor. I also love not gaining 100 lbs a minute and not spending a million dollars buying annoying Starbuxxx abominations (seriously, how annoying are they?). When you make your own pumpkin spice treats, you get to decide how much of what goes into them. If you are a vegan, you can make vegan pumpkin spice confections; if you are watching your caloric or fat intake, you’re able to customize your food when you make it yourself. I scoured the internet for the best pumpkin spice recipes for all of us (for me).
7 Pumpkin Spice Recipes That Are Healthier Than Lattes:
- Oatmeal- Make oatmeal, sprinkle pumpkin pie spice in it. It’s like eating pumpkin pie for breakfast.
- Smoothie- via Little Lessy. Ok, I’m buying a blender this week. Enough’s enough.
- Roasted Chickpeas- via The Sweet Life. This is a creative, protein-y snack that will keep you full and give you your pumpkin fix.
- Pumpkin Soup- via Whatever’s Left. True fact: I’m going to ask Julia from the Gloss to make this for me for my birthday in October.
- Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte-via Seasonal and Savory. Paleo people irritate me, but this way you can get your pumpkin latte fix without being sabotaged by Starbucks.
- Pumpkin Spice Popcorn- via A Blossoming Life. I think popcorn is my favorite snack. Finding out that it could be good for me was the best news I ever got.
- Pumpkin Spice Deviled Eggs- via Just a Pinch. Ok so maybe deviled eggs aren’t super healthy, but how weirdly delish do these sound?
- Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt- via Babble. Just four ingredients? My mouth is watering.
I’m going to be posting about pumpkins all autumn long, check back for pumpkin spice hacks, pumpkin cocktails, and what not.