It’s the season of slasher movies full of blood shed and vampire movies featuring bloodsucking freaks. For something that courses through our veins (hopefully) constantly, the fluid sure is complicated and mysterious. Let’s learn about blood.
10 Gory Facts About Blood:
- Blood makes up about 7% of human body weight.
- You could safely ingest just a few teaspoons of pathogen free human blood, more than that would be toxic.
- Every two seconds someone in the United States has a nosebleed.
- Hungarian Countess and prolific serial killer, Elizabeth Bathory, allegedly fed on and bathed in the blood of young women as an anti aging beauty ritual in the early 17th century. She is remembered as “The Blood Countess.”
- There are 10 pints of blood in the average adult body.
- Some dream interpretations say blood in dreams represents vitality and power, gained or lost depending on the context.
- Fear of blood is called hemophobia and can cause fainting.
- Alfred Hitchcock used Bosco Chocolate Syrup as fake blood in Psycho(1960).
- In Greek mythology the golden blood of the Gods was called Ichor.
- The process of bleeding to death is called exsanguination,but you don’t even need to lose all of your blood to bleed to death.
After thinking about blood for so long, I have to go lay down.