Another year, another group of jerks with nothing better to do than think about other people’s bodies. Since we’re rapidly winding down on the year, we decided to aggregate a few of the most WTF instances of body shaming from 2013.
Looking back, all of the fat and thin shaming that went down is just as disheartening to observe retroactively. Body shaming is a weird way to pass the time. I personally can’t imagine feeling so negatively that the mere sight of a human body would lead me to scrutinize it and then waste my time constructing a takedown.
Sure this motley crew said and did notably body snarky things, but it’s really more of a list of people who need to get a grip next year:
1) Fit Mom- Fit Mom seems like a cool woman and her body is amazing, too bad she had to go and be such a dick to other moms. There’s nothing wrong with FitMom’s bod or lifestyle, but there is something wrong with thinking that people who don’t look like her are making up excuses and that they even want to look like her in the first place.
3) Fat Shaming Week- Those idiots from Return of Kings and their pathetic band of internet cronies weren’t the worst fat-shamers or body shamers; they would have been if they somehow were better at bullying. Their playground insults were pretty embarrassing, but the end of the week it was clear that these people were just losers, some functionally illiterate, all annoying and ignorant. Their efforts were a little funny, but the fact that a week devoted to body shaming even existed is so distressing.
5) Abercrombie & Fitch- The trashy-preppy brand did a whole bunch of plus-sized people a favor by refusing to make their tacky abominations in larger sizes. Too bad the CEO had to be such a dickbag and body hater. The company started doing so badly that they will now include more sizes.
6) Lululemon- The founder of a brand of fitness clothes thinks fat ladies’ fat thighs are responsible for problems with the fabric Lululemon uses. He was an a-hole and the internet freaked out on him.
7) Justin Bieber- Anyone who is still under the impression that Justin Bieber is anything more than a shitty little hasbeen must not know that he reduced a fan to tears by calling her a whale and mocking her body.
8) Photoshoppers of the World- Another year of creepy airbrushing, missing limbs, skin lightening, bone shaving, organ removal and body hatred. Godforbid anyone see pictures of a real human being. Luckily, even celebs are calling out instances of egregious photoshopping.
9) The Daily Mail- On any given day, the Daily Mail has at least a few posts snarking on women’s bodies. Remember when they thin-shamed Lea Michele when she was grieving the loss of her boyfriend? Gross. They thin-shame, fat-shame, insult weight loss and gain, cellulite and anything else they can scrutinize. Here’s just one recent and egregious example, so recent that it’s from today.
Maybe when we ring in 2014, we will see fewer and fewer body-shamers and everyone will be free to be as thin or fat or flat chested or reptilian as they want to be.
Image via Getty