Meet our new body image hero. We could all learn a lot from Harnaam Kaur, a 23-year-old woman who is growing out her beard and feeling great about it. Kaur has been growing facial hair since adolescence due to polycystic ovary syndrome. Though she’s been through hell due to her condition, Kaur will no longer be shaving her facial her for religious reasons. Having facial hair may be atypical for a woman, but accepting it and growing it out is making this chick feel better about her appearance. We could all learn a lot about confidence, acceptance and our own perceived flaws from Harnaam Kaur.
Here are 8 body image lessons from this interview with the Bearded Lady:
- Confidence glows. “If you feel great about yourself, you’ll probably look great too.“I feel more feminine, more sexy and I think I look it too.”
- Accept yourself.“I’ve learned to love myself for who I am nothing can shake me now.”
- You can overcome taunts and barbs from closed minded people. “I got bullied badly – at school I was called a ‘beardo’ and things like ‘shemale’ and ‘sheman.”
- Closed-minded people will be huge assholes and violent maniacs over anything even slightly different. Screw them. “I’ve had people telling me they’re going to burn me and throw a brick at me – all sorts of things like that…”
- Some people are really cool and they matter way more than the jerks. ““But I’ve also had a lot of positive messages from women in the same situation as me.”
- Adorn yourself however you like. Wear what you want to wear. “I wear skirts, dresses and jewellery and I like to get my nails done like every other girl.”
- People find all sorts of stuff attractive. What makes you feel like a freak, might be beautiful to someone. “I’ve also had loads of nice comments from men all over the world – one even asked me to marry him!”
- Do your thing. “I want other women to find the strength that I have. If I had any message it would be to live the way you want – it’s your journey and it’s your life.”
Right on! You can see images of Harnaam Kaur working it on The Daily Mirror.
Check out the video here:
via The Daily Mirror//Image is our own screencap